Groundbreakers
One of the most intersecting profiles to me was Reverend Eric Williams. One of my questions was what is a reverend? Honestly I've only heard that word on television when referring to a guy leading a cult, but a reverend is not someone who leads a cult it is a member of the clergy. Eric is a pastor who lives in Missouri and was faced with a very difficult decision. Eric was pastoring during the time when AIDS were only associated with someone's sexuality. Eric tells us one life changing story about how he was asked to hold a funeral for a boy who died of AIDS. When Eric is telling us about the boy he does not assume the boy has this disease because of who he like but simply says "he just happened to be gay". I thought this line was really important because he didn't have pre judgements of the kid but just saw him as a person that's life was taken from a disease that wasn't his fault. Another thing that stood out to me is when he says he didn't even want to do the funeral because he new his follow pastors would not support him but he knew what the word says and did what he felt was right. I believe that was the Holy Spirit showing him which direction to move in. Eric tells us "I came into this work kicking and screaming. I just didn't want to do it. But my heart was pulled". I found this compelling because it was a personal example to me on how my plan doesn't always line up with God's plans for my life, but God's plan is always great and brings opportunities I could never even imagine.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.