In my active reading so far I'm having a pretty easy time picking out important lines and lines that I find interesting but I'm have more issues with keeping up margin notes of any merit because of how I like to read books and take in everything I read at face value and as important and put there for I reason.
So far I'm much more interested in The House on Mango Street because I find the perspective interesting and everything gives insight into the main character while being somewhat lighthearted. While in a Long Way Gone everything is played straight and serious. With a book like that I feel bad that it almost feels like it puts me to sleep because my brain is just taking in all the information as if it were a lecture. I prefer The House on Mango Street because I enjoy the idea of how a young and innocent kid perceives all these things.
In chapter 7 of a Long Way Gone Ishmael describes the attack on the small farming town they were all staying at. What stood out the most to me in this chapter was how after the attack Ishmael left and was all alone on the road. He had a very quick change from having so many companions to being all alone. This wouldn't be so bad but with everyone afraid of him being a child soldier he really has no one to help him. Near the end of chapter 7 Ishmael comes across a family swimming in a river. He jumps in with them and asks for directions but they are all instantly cautious of him, and want him to leave. Beah describes "It was clear from the tone of his voice that he didn't want me around and didn't trust me"(48). At this point Ishmael must be realizing that he is going to be truly on his own for sometime, and that's not going to be easy for such a young kid.
During this point in the book, my heart broke into a million pieces. Many people these days would help such a young child if they needed directions. Back then, or in this book, people aren’t willling to help at all during this hard time. This makes me feel very sorry for what the boy is going through on his own.
ReplyDeleteI like your thoughts that she perceives, I love that she and Beah don’t just survive but they thrive.
ReplyDelete