Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Journal Four- Madhaba Naidu

No Speak English
The main theme I saw in this chapter are respecting the hard work, curious, and mother's pain. At beginning of the chapter when the Esperanza talks about the man across the street who lives on in the third floor. Who was saving his money and working at two jobs, so that he can bring his wife and his baby boy? She has noticed when that man comes home and leaves. Esperanza very curious about the man’s wife Mamacita why she doesn’t come out? She thought all kind of reasons why Mamacita doesn’t come out but has some idea why she doesn’t come out. The men tell his wife that they are home, “Ay! caray! We are home. This is home. Here I am and here I stay. Speak English. Speak English. Christ! (Cisneros 78)”. His wife didn’t speak or understand English, but when her son was starting to talk he talked in English. This broke her heart because she couldn’t understand her own child’s talk.  
Me and Anshuman
Role Model

When I was the same age as Esperanza I was influenced by many people, but a man named Anshuman Garg he influenced as an older brother, teacher, and friend. I didn’t know him till moved to united states, but he was born here and now has graduated college with Computer & Electrical Engineering degree. He is 8 years older than me and he didn’t teach me anything, but he showed me how to teach and learn myself. He told me that if he teaches me something I will remember for a few days then I will forget about it. But, if I teach myself I will learn better and remember that forever. This was the one thing he kept pushing me to do till now. He told me about his life when he was growing up, there was no one there to guide him. So, he had to teach himself all the things liked. For example, how to set up routers, fix hard drive problems, fix any computer problems…etc. So, as I was growing up I wanted to be just like him because he not only smart, but people respect him for his achievement. 

4 comments:

  1. Your story is incredible and I love the way you intertwined yours with esperanza’s! The power of curiosity should never be underestimated! I had trouble relating to this particular chapter and hearing your story helped me to understand it a lot! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your theme and you summed the chapter up very well. Anshuman sounds like a really cool guy and I'm glad you had a role model like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you included the part about her son learning English, it really shows how isolated the mother has become and that her refusal to adapt is making her even sadder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your story about Anshuman. I think everybody needs to meet someone like this when they're younger.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.