My active reading could be better. I underline and take notes about what is going on in the chapters. Whenever I read I highlight anything that stands out to me or interests me. I think that I've gotten a lot better at underlining stuff and writing stuff down that I think about when I read. Something that isn't going so well for me is sharing out to everyone because I feel like I am not confident in what I highlight or write down to discuss.
I think that the strengths of The House On Mango Street is that it has short chapters and she makes you be able to picture what is going on in the book like you are there almost. I think a weakness of this book is the fact that she just jumps around a lot like in one chapter she will briefly tell you about something but give a good enough description so you know and then the next chapter will be something completely different. I just don't like how much the book jumps around.In A Long Way Gone the chapters are long I don't know if I would say that is a strength or a weakness because I like short chapters but they give so much information in each chapter. I think a strength for A Long Way Gone is the fact that they just go day by day in some places you are not really sure where they are but then they kind of come out and tell you. In all honestly I prefer A Long Way Gone. Because it tells the story it doesn’t hop around like the other book it just keeps going on with the story.
I think that a theme for chapter 7 is like separation you could say or like losing loved ones. Beah says at the end of chapter 6 “ it was during that attack in the village of Kamator that my friends and I separated. It was the last time I saw Junior, my older brother.” I could not imagine being 12 years old and being taken away from all my loved ones and never seeing any of them again just being alone in the war running from the rebels and trying to survive. Then again Beah says, “ I was losing everyone, my family, my friends.” PG.(45). Then he started praying that he had his family back and he had a flashback to when they were all back together he says “I pressed my fingers on my eyelids to hold back my tears and wished that I could have my family together again” PG (45). Being 18 now I can’t imagine not being with my family and not having them with me through everything let alone going through a war being only 12 by yourself.
Going through something like what you brought up from Long Way Gone would be traumatizing to most people regardless of age. I think that's a good chapter to write about.
ReplyDeleteHe's definitely feeling the separation especially as a kid whose life just flipped and now his family is no where to be found.
ReplyDelete