Part one:
My active reading is going very well so far in each of the books. I'm doing well with writing new characters, themes, and ideas in the margin. Also, this last time reading, I started circling the most effective metaphors in each chapter. The most thing that I am struggling with, or mostly forget, is to to some research or definitions on words I'm not familiar with in the text.
Part Two:
The strength and weaknesses of each book are very different from each other. The strength of the book, A long Way Gone, is it goes in depth detail about what is going on in the chapter to where you can picture what is going on. There is so much detail to where you could run a play by play movie of the reading in your head. There is also weakness to this book. The weakness is there is a lot of murder and bloody scenes. This book is very sad and heartbreaking.
The strength of the book, The House On Mango Street, is it is very easy to analyze each chapter of the story since the chapters are very short. Also, the sentences are very easy to read and understand with great and fresh metaphors. The weakness of this book is there are many short chapters with different themes happening in each one. This makes if very difficult to understand what is going on in the book.
Part Three:
One of the themes in the book, A Long Way Gone, was chapter six when another attack happened.
In the beginning of the chapter, he decided to go somewhere with peace to get away from the massacre and hiding from the rebels every day. He was learning to farm and cut down trees with the town until one afternoon the rebels showed up quietly from the woods. At that moment, all his hard work was ruined. “Everyone ran away leaving their farms to be covered by weeds and devoured by animals. It was during the attack in the village of Kamator that my friends and I separated. It was the last time I saw Junior, my older brother” (Pg. 43).
part 1- I wish I could do more research on the words I don't know it will help my vocabulary, but I have bad habit when I don't understand a word I just keep reading trying to find the meaning of the work through the sentence.
ReplyDeletePart two- I agree that this book has so much detail that you can make a movie out of it, but I feel like murders and bloody scenes are not weakness because those things actually give us the full vision of the setting.
I think I would almost reverse the strengths and weaknesses for a long way gone. For me the and heart breaking story is a strength of the book while the amount of details included starts bore me and make me not want to keep reading.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything you said in part 2 about A long way gone. It truly is a very sad and heartbreaking book. It is a good book that you can picture the things that he is saying almost like you are with him.
ReplyDelete