Part One:
So far my active reading is going better than I thought it would. I was never really one to do extreme active writing as mike wants us to do. I thought it was going to be difficult but its actually a great tool I've learning to grasp. I've been highlighting important points in each chapter, looking up vocabulary I'm unsure of, writing down key points in the margin. I feel doing all these things are helping me really understand what the writers are trying to get through to the reader.
Part Two:
Both of these books are unique in there own way. I feel I can grasp what each of the writers are trying to say in my view. The strengths in The House on Mango Street I feel is that the chapters are short and comprehendible. She uses so creative language it always keeps me intrigued. I feel the weaknesses in this book is how she jumps around so much. it just seems like she's going down hill fast and I'm missing pieces. Each chapter is something different I feel the chapters should flow more together. I feel the strengths in A Long Way Gone is that the chapters are longer. Beah goes into so much detail graphically I feel as if I'm watching the scene happen in my own eyes. I feel I can relate without having this experience of my own. I feel I can put my feet in the characters shoes and feel their emotions. Honestly, I don't feel there is much weakness in this book. I would have to say that its hare to keep track of name sand where they are at the place and time. Though aside from that I think this book is wonderful. In my personal preference I choose A Long Way Gone over The House on Mango Street just because I feel more in tune with A Long Way Gone again Beah catches my interest more his detail is amazing and I feel I'm connected with the book.
Part Three:
I believe the theme in chapter Four of A Long Way Home is Hunger. These boys have been traveling for days. They haven't ate much of anything. They've been walking forever and all have to do with themselves is to ponder of the past, present and. future. Beah ponders his family, what his life was like before the war happened. I feel they are slightly becoming delusional and in a state of paranoia. Though I would be too if I was in his situation. They are starving at this point. "I thought about where my family was, whether I would be able to see them again, and wished that they were safe and not too heartbroken about junior and me. Tears formed in my eyes, but I was too hungry to cry" (pg.26). I feel this line is so important with this theme. You just see how distraught he is. He's so starving that he can barely function with his emotions he's so hungry. They eventually gained money from Khalilous house. After they'd gone through trouble with the rebels. They had traveled to the next town to gain some food with money they'd use got. "After all the trouble and risk we undertook to get the money, it became useless" (pg.29). Once they reached the next village they came to find out that the people of the village are scavenging their goods in fear of things getting worse. "That night we were so hungry that we stole people food while they slept" (pg.29). They've come to the point of stealing innocent peoples food. We never know what were going to do in a situation like this.
I agree with your theme for chapter four. You described and summarized the chapter very well with some detail.
ReplyDeleteAll of the boys being hungry it made them do things they wouldn't normally do. Their actions were changing because of the things they were deprived of.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting theme because of how they are becoming disoriented because of it.
ReplyDelete