Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Journal Two from Brooke

My name is Brooke Bishop. I turned 18 on July 24th. My family is from Connecticut, we moved to Ohio when I was very young. My family likes to travel. We visit my family and friends in Connecticut about three times a year. We also own a condo in Myrtle Beach so we go there for a few weeks every summer. My dad, brother and I also drove to Arizona for Ohio State's New Years Eve game against Clemson a couple years ago. I am a huge sports fan! I was a cheerleader for 13 years. During my junior year of high school I broke both of my feet. If you ever notice that I walk kind of weird, it's because my injuries never healed correctly and I am still having many problems with them.
This is me and a few of my friends and my cousin (far left) on my birthday this year in New Milford, Connecticut.

While reading I noticed that Esperanza talks a lot about her family. She spends most of her time with her family. This theme is important because it is good to know where you came from and having a close family is something that should never be taken for granted. My experience with this theme is shaky. Most of my family lives in Connecticut, Arizona and Italy. Living so far away from them is very difficult. When we are able to visit, I make plenty of time for my friends, but I am mostly with my family. I have a big family and we are all incredibly close with each other. Esperanza and I can relate on that note. However, she has more people living in a smaller household than I do. The way she handles it shows maturity and that she will strive for greatness to make her own path.

2 comments:

  1. I like the part about Esperanza striving for greatness. You can really tell how strong of a woman she is just by her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really interesting that she writes about her house(s) the way she does. I can't help but wonder if this is a metaphor aluuding to her missing a sense of self. Sociologist George Herbert Mead developed a theory on "Sense of Self", basically concluding that our sense of self is determined by the people, cultures, and environments we are exposed to throughout our lives. The fact that Esperanza repetitively states that she never felt like she had a home makes me think she may be alluding to a bigger theme of a desire to "find herself" or figure out how she fits into society. Interesting views!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.