Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Journal two- Alli Barr

Sibling picture
Hi, my name is Alli Barr I am 18 years old. I graduated from Harding High school here in Marion, Ohio. I played volleyball, bowled, did wrestling and baseball stats, mock trail, choir, musicals, student council, academic challenge and young life. Through Hardings college pathways I got the opportunity to teach preschool last fall which was a very unquie experience. I also was President of Junior Civitan a community service club for four years and got the privilege to travel and attend international conferences. I did KUEST (kids under excellence service training) for 6 years a long with an internship that I am continuing at family life church. During the summer I enjoy volunteering at royal family kids camp, a camp for neglected and abused children ages 7-11.  I have two brothers, and three dogs. I work in the student center here at the college, I also work at kohl's and a pizza shop called mega moo. I am double enrolled in two colleges majoring in communications and ministry. My dream job is to work for compassion international supplying the children and families suffering from extreme poverty with the proper resources to advance their health, education and faith. I am always up for a good challenge and am extremely excited to push myself and start this next chapter.

While reading the house on mango street something that really stood out to be was page ten. I like when she talks about her grandmother and says “but I think this is a Chinese lie because the Chinese, like the Mexicans, don’t like their women strong.” This stands out to be because it points out that she is a strong woman. She really paints a picture with her words, she uses so much detail you can visualize as if you were there. I feel I can related to her when she talks about how she doesn’t have her dream home but she makes the best of it and keeps dreaming. Although my situation is not a home there has been times when reality just doesn’t appear as though you have dreamed and it is disappointing but you just have to make the best and be aggressive about chasing whatever your goal may be. 

2 comments:

  1. Allison, thanks for posting and in your intro, I thought your service at the Kid's camp was so interesting. What kind of activities did you do with the kids and was it challenging? Was a lot of nature involved in the camp? Really cool you did this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that you doing Kids camp is really cool ( like I didn't already know about it ). Your writing in reference to The House on Mango Street is really passionate. I didn't really think of it that way. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.